VIGO COUNTY SCHOOL CORPORATION
BOARD OF SCHOOL TRUSTEES
ADMINISTRATION BUILDING – 686 WABASH AVENUE
MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 26, 2005
M I N U T E S
A meeting of the Board of School Trustees of the Vigo County School Corporation was held at the Administration Building, 686 Wabash Avenue, Terre Haute, Indiana, on September 26, 2005 at 7:15 P.M.
The following Board Members were present: Mr. Paul Lockhart, Mr. Michael Tom, Mr. Mel Burks, Mr. Gene Shike, Mrs. Jackie Lower, Mr. Guille Cox, and Dr. Joseph Minnis.
The following employees were recognized:
1. Mrs. Mary Beth Harris, Fuqua Elementary School Principal, for receiving the
2005 Woman of Distinction Award by the Y.W.C.A.
2. Mrs. Anna Lee Chalos-McAleese for receiving the 2005 Teacher Creativity
Fellowship by the Lilly Endowment.
3. Dr. Sharon Pitts, Woodrow Wilson Middle School Principal, for being
selected to serve as President of the Indiana Association of School Principals
for the 2005-2006 school year.
Information from Superintendent Tanoos
Mr. Tanoos presented a brief overview of activities and meetings that have taken place during the past two weeks.
First Call for Citizen Comments
No comments were received.
Mr. Burks moved for approval of the Consent Agenda. Mr. Lockhart seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously.
The following Consent Agenda items were approved:
1. Minutes – Statutory Meeting – September 12, 2005
2. Minutes Regular Meeting – September 12, 2005
3. Financial Status Report – Month Ending August 2005
4. Encumbrance Report – Period Ending August 31, 2005
5. Accounts Payable Docket – Dated September 26, 2005
6. Stipend Authorizations
7. Professional Leave Requests
8. Gift – West Vigo Middle School – Monetary Gift in the amount of $1,080.00
from the Helping Hands Organization in West Terre Haute, IN
Career Technology and Adult Education Program
Mr. Kenneth Pierce, Director of Career Technology and Adult Education, presented an extensive overview of the Vocational Education program presently taking place in the Vigo County School Corporation.
Following discussion, Dr. Minnis moved to create a Board committee to gather inquires and questions from the community concerning the Vocational Education Program. Mr. Shike seconded the motion. Mr. Burks, Mr. Shike, Mrs. Lower, Mr. Cox, and Dr. Minnis voted “aye.” Mr. Lockhart and Mr. Tom voted “no.”
Mr. Cox appointed the Board as a whole to serve on the committee with Mr. Lockhart to serve as Chairperson.
The following policies were presented as “Second Reading”:
1. Policy AA – School Corporation Legal Status
2. Policy AFB – Evaluation of the Superintendent
3. Policy AGB – Publication of Annual Report
4. Policy BCA – Board Organizational Meeting
5. Policy BCB – Board Officers and Duties
6. Policy BD – School Board Meetings
7. Policy BDA – Regular School Board Meetings
8. Policy BDB – Special Board Meetings
9. Policy BDD – Board Meeting Procedures
10. Policy BDDB – Agenda Format
11. Policy BDDI – News Media Services at Board Meetings
12. Policy BDE – Procedure for Conducting Hearings
13. Policy CBH – Superintendent’s Termination of Employment
14. Policy CHB – Board Review of Administrative Rules
15. Policy IFD – Curriculum Adoption
16. Policy KBCC – News Media at Board Meetings
The above Policies will be brought back to the October 10th Board Meeting for “Third Reading”.
Mr. Tanoos presented the Personnel Report.
Mr. Burks moved for approval. Mr. Tom seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously.
Union Hospital/Vigo County School Corporation Lease
Mr. Tanoos requested permission to approve the proposed lease between Union Hospital, Inc., and the Vigo County School Corporation, wherein Union Hospital grants to the school corporation hospital owned space at 1530 N. 7th Street in exchange for the school corporation granting the hospital space at Ouabache Elementary School.
Mr. Shike moved for approval. Mr. Burks seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously.
Mr. Tanoos requested permission to accept the following grants:
a. Community Alliances to Promote Education (CAPE) Grant
b. Lumina Foundation Grant for Terre Haute North Vigo, Terre Haute South Vigo and West Vigo High Schools.
Dr. Minnis moved for approval. Mrs. Lower seconded the motion. Mr. Lockhart,
Mr. Tom, Mr. Shike, Mrs. Lower, Mr. Cox, and Dr. Minnis voted “aye.” Mr. Burks
Second Call for Citizen Comments
No comments were received.
Information and Proposals from Board Members
None were received.
Adjournment: 8:55 P.M.
__________________________________Vice Pres. ______________________________